Sunday, January 11, 2009

Musical Sunday #1 - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

We've decided (since we have early church now... yah 9:00 AM!) that we are going to sit down as a family on a Sunday every once in a while and watch a musical.

Min wanted to start out with the beloved Sound of Music, but I wanted a show that was shorter, catchier, and might entertain the kids a bit more without going over their heads... so I recommended Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.



I'm a big fan of Howard Keel (may he rest in peace) and have seen his musicals numerous times (some of my favorites being Annie Get Your Gun, Show Boat, and Kiss Me Kate).

The story is simple, Adam Pontipee goes to town to get supplies and a wife. He always gets what he sets out for. He meets Millie, and while she's milking the cow, he "proposes."

Once they get married and arrives at the farm, she meets the six other Pontipee boys: Benjamin, Caleb, Daniel, Ephram, Frank, and Gideon.

After a bit a shaping up and cleaning up from Millie and a barn raising, the Pontipee boys long for wives of their own... cue the "Sobbin' Women" song and set the final plot in motion.

Anyways, the kids thoroughly enjoyed the movie and can't wait to see another one.

Maybe next time, we'll get a little more modern and watch one of Min's favorites: Newsies.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like fun. Ken would like to watch his favorite musical Paint your Wagon with good old Clint Eastwood. I like the Doris Day movies. If you need any other ideas for musicals I would recommend those.
The kids might also like Shirley Temple.

Jill said...

Newsies is one of my fave's I suggest the kids watch that one asap!

Alice said...

Musicals are my favorite. A good one with Fred Astaire is Shall We Dance. Short but oh, so funny.

Keli said...

SBFSB is one musical that I actually love. I normally lose interest because all the songs start to sound the same to me. But this one, it's a doozy! I love it! And the best part is the one wife whose name is Dorkus. We used to laugh at that name, until my mom told us she had a friend named Dorkus in high school. I guess it used to be fairly common back in the day.

Mike said...

Dorcas was the first Hollywood role for actress Julie Newmar. She went on to play Catwoman in the Adam West "Batman" series.

And who can forget "To Wong Fu..."!

:D