Sunday, February 22, 2009

Musical Sunday #5 - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

This is one of Min's favorites. She will sing along to the entire show if you let her.

The Christiansens came over for lunch after church and then we watched "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" together.

I really like this musical, and so did everyone else... well, except for one thing, but we'll talk about that later.

This was the second collaboration between Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber, and is unique from all other musicals (that I've seen) where it is completely sung (no spoken dialog).

I love how each song is a new style. My favorite is the take on French Ballads "Those Canaan Days" and then next is the western "One More Angel In Heaven".

Min's favorite is Joseph's (Donny's) "Close Every Door":



Okay... it was Aaron who had a problem with something (and Min and I could have picked it from the start).

Some of the costumes are... how can I say it... rather inappropriate for young viewers. Several of the female dancers have on skin colored body suits with well placed stars and shells, fish netting, etc., especially Joan Collin's Mrs. Potifer.


Donny's expression in the pic above matched the kids' reaction to the costumes.

Anyways, it was a wonderful time (and is wonderfully short at around 78 minutes).

We recommend it... but you might want to screen it first if you have doubts.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love this musical. It was one of my favorites. I agree with Min on the song Donny sings it just gives me goosebumps. I can see how it can be little risque. What is your next musical?