Saturday, July 07, 2007

My 2007 Summer Movie Experience So Far...

Most of y'all know that I'm a big Summer Movie fan! I made a list at the beginning of the summer of the films that I planned on seeing this summer and so far I've caught 9 of the 10 that have been released so far (I haven't seen Surf's Up yet, but I will).

Anyways, if I had to rank them according to a star rating (and numeric) this is how I would do it:

1 - Ocean's Thirteen [ **** ] - Best movie of the Summer for me (so far). I loved the first one and had a good time watching the (weaker) sequel, but with this film, Danny Ocean and his boys are in proper form. The way that they play their individual parts in the plot to take down The Bank in one night was extremely entertaining (albeit improbable in reality). I don't want to spoil it for you who haven't seen it, but I will say this... "The nose plays." Although we probably won't see an Ocean's Fourteen, I would welcome it.
2 - Live Free or Die Hard [ **** ] - "Yipee-Ki-Ya" John McClane! Even though my father says that the stunts are "over the top", I had a blast watching the fourth installment of the Die Hard franchise. Even though we haven't seen one in a dozen years (the other three were released in 1988, 1990, and 1995) this one was true to form... even without John McTeirnan behind the camera (he directed movie's 1 and 3) it was still good! Len Wiseman did a great job with the material he was given and the casting was good too. It was good to a younger, revolutionary baddie take on the hero of Nakatomi Plaza. The first 20 minutes are intense, and it doesn't let up from there. If you are looking for action (but don't want robots) see this film.
3 - Ratatouille [ **** ] - Just saw this tonight. Wow! Pixar and Brad Bird (The Incredibles and The Iron Giant) hit another one out of the park. this isn't your typical kiddie Pixar film. It has a heart and a truly older audience plot that the young ones will still enjoy. I was surprised that Pixar would do a more mature film at this point in their legacy, but it works extremely well. I didn't take the kids (just so you know Mom) but they will like it when they see it... but you might have to explain to them what DNA is. Wonderful, wonderful film.
4 - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End [ **** ] - Crazy fun with Captain Jack and his crew. Loved the rock crabs. Saw the Calypso thing coming from a mile away. Keith Richards was in his element. Was surprised by the ending... and the new captain of the Flying Dutchman... but groaned with the after credit mushy stuff. Even with the duldrum in the middle of the movie, I can over look all of the flaws due to the wonderful pacing and interaction of the characters in the rest of the film. Depp could get recognized again for this role (which I think he'll take up again... he just has too). One note of caution: Rewatch Dead Man's Chest... it'll make things easier to understand.
5 - Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer [ *** ] - Check your brain at the door and sit down and enjoy this popcorn flick. Not much to say except that it's funny and they did a great job with the Surfer... both in life and in CG.
6 - Transformers [ *** ] - I thought that this show would taint my childhood memories of watching the half hour toy commercial cartoon after school. I had a few of the toys, and a few of the comic books, but I wasn't a die hard like some of my friends, but when I heard that Michael Bay was helming the project, my heart sank. Thankfully, he didn't do too bad. Sure there were a few things that I didn't like (i.e. confused as to who was fighting who at the end, the Sector 7 guys, the product placement - eBay - and the change of Bumblebee from a VW Bug to a Camaro) and a few things that I loved (i.e. Peter Cullen as the voice of Optimus Prime, the pouring of lubricants on the humans, and hiding in the backyard) but it was a good film all around. One that I will get on DVD.
7 - Spider-Man 3 [ **1/2 ] - My friend James said it best... "Everyone cried!" This movie was disappointing. I could have sworn that George Lucas took a shot at the screen play... the dialog was horrible. Horrible. Horrible! HORRIBLE!! Couple that with a wousy Venom, a tortured Sandman, a whiny Mary Jane and Emo-Parker... and you've got a doozie of a bad film. If the final conversation between Sandman and Spider-Man doesn't make you groan in pain, then you have a problem. In case you are wondering, I will get the DVD just to complete the set.
8 - Evan Almighty [ **1/2 ] - What can I say... I had a free ticket. Good family film. Good message.
9 - Shrek the Third [ ** ] - Three words... "Wait for DVD."
Anyways... all that are left on my radar is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (which is out next week) and The Bourne Ultimatum (8/3) and my Summer Movie List will be complete.

Next summer is shaping up to be a good one too, where we'll see sequels to Indiana Jones, Batman Begins, and Hellboy as well as a relaunch of The Hulk and the initial offering in what will hopefully be an Iron Man franchise. Pixar will give us Wall•E and M. Night will offer up The Happening. Not to mention the next book in the Chroc

2 comments:

Jami said...

I've only seen 2 of these...my summer hasn't been one of leisure! Shrek...yeah that wasn't worth the $8! i did like Oceans 13, but the first one is much betta!

How's the fam? I was hoping you guys would come north this summer, but i'm out of luck! Hopefully we'll cross paths sometime in the next 4 years!

N8ster said...

Mike,

Who's Your Caddy?